This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Recent updates can take a VERY long time to extract

Topics: Feedback
Sep 16, 2014 at 7:30 PM
I just ran AutoSPSourceBuilder for the July 2014 CU for SharePoint 2013. After 3+ hours (!!!) I was this close to stopping the CU extraction process when it finally finished. Since I almost shot myself in the foot, I thought I'd encourage anyone else who might experience similarly long extraction times to heed the install NOTE (output from the PS script) and be really, really, really patient.

For comparison sake, my machine specs were:
  • A new, fresh Hyper-V Windows 2012 R2 VM
  • 4 virtual cores @ 2.4GHz
  • 8GB RAM
  • ~400Mb/250Mb SSD
  • Nothing else happening on any of the VMs or the host
It looked to me like only one core was doing most of the work, so you might be better off running this on the fastest straight-line machine you have access to (your gaming PC?).
Coordinator
Sep 17, 2014 at 4:57 PM
I hear ya and I've been there (hence the comment in the script output). Even on incredibly fast server hardware it can take hours.

It's probably more I/O bound than anything else though. Trevor Seward gives a good explanation of why recent CUs take such a long time to extract here: http://thesharepointfarm.com/2013/04/slow-sharepoint-2013-april-2013-cumulative-update-extraction/

Brian
Sep 17, 2014 at 5:08 PM
Nice, simple explanation. So the moral of the story is your algorithm design matters.

Again, my main point for anyone else who reads this is don't give up on it. Maybe you should consider waiting until your done for the day to start AutoSPSourceBuilder if you're using a recent CU, and let it run overnight.

Thanks, Brian!

Sean
Jan 19, 2015 at 6:20 PM
I have been sitting on the CU extracting step for a long time as well, but I don't yet see any green process bar on the "Extracting files, please wait..." hotfix screen. Should I expect to see the bar progressing or no?
Coordinator
Jan 19, 2015 at 9:18 PM
Again, that's "normal" for CUs of late. They appear to be stuck, but if you open Task Manager you should see CPU and disk I/O associated with the CU extraction. Painful...

Brian
Jan 20, 2015 at 3:08 PM
brianlala wrote:
Again, that's "normal" for CUs of late. They appear to be stuck, but if you open Task Manager you should see CPU and disk I/O associated with the CU extraction. Painful...

Brian
Thanks, Brian! Yes, it took 4 hours in total but did complete successfully. Thank you for such an amazing tool!